Friday, May 4, 2007

Hello Dali!(an)

I wrote this entry TWICE already, but thanks to the awesome combination of my s-l-o-w internet that makes me want to kill myself and China internet in general, it disappeared. So, here we go again.


Paula
asked me a few days ago if I'd like to go to Dalian with her, which was great since I've been getting a little antsy here. Paula is a [slightly] older American here, originally from my home state (like everyone else is). We don't have too much in common, but she's someone to do things with and has good travel stories to tell. Really, I'm so jealous of many of her adventures, but at the same time, I think her life must be a bit lonely. She doesn't have much family in the US, and people here are only interested in getting to know the young and impressionable foreigners (such as yours truly). Anyway, Paula's very pleasant, and we seem to get along quite well.

We hopped on a plane this afternoon and before long were in what seemed to be a completely different China. For those of you too lazy to click the link above, Dalian is in the north eastern part of China, and the area has changed hands a few times over the past 200 years (China, England, China, Russia, Japan, Russia, China/Russia, China, in that order). This, and the close proximity to Russia, Japan, and Korea make the city feel much more international than Jinan, even though it's a bit smaller. And what a lovely city! When we arrived, there was an actual, functioning taxi stand, and the cabbie didn't try to charge us a ridiculous amount! Then we got to our hotel, which was huge and old and looked EUROPEAN! And all through the city were areas of GRASS! And TREES! and get this... it was CLEAN! The air was clean, the streets were clean, and it wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought it would be, on account of the holiday. There's not much to do in the city other than take in the ambiance, so that's what we did.

Also, there was Starbucks. Thank you Jesus.



This is "Friendship Square" or, as we call it in America, "Epcot."

Our hotel (pictured up top) was also on one of a few "squares" in town. What my pictures don't reveal too well is that these squares are actually circles. Of course squares are round in China.

Yes, scorpions "count" as meat, yes, I am still a vegetarian.
Had to pass up bugs on a stick.


Here's a traditional(ish) band playing near our hotel. I tried to take a picture of the flute player who was simultaneously performing and smoking a cigarette, but you'll just have to imagine that one. They kept asking us to sing, and though that would have made a good story, I do not know any Chinese songs and I'm guessing they know very few English ones. Also, because Chinese singing... hurts my ears, I didn't know if the same was true for the reverse.

Dalian lit up at night, more so than Jinan or Beijing (my only two cities to compare it to). Quite a sight, though I still can't decide if it's pretty or heinously tacky.



Off to the beach tomorrow!

No comments: