Monday, May 7, 2007

Down by the bay

Paula and I spent most of Saturday at Golden Pebble Beach. It took us about 2 hours to get there, because we had to find the train station and then spent a good while looking for the bus we were told to take, but it turns out it's actually a local train, and meanwhile people are chasing after us, tugging on our clothes, yelling "Xi'an? Shanghai? This bus go to Beijing! Beijing very nice! You want to go? Good price!" As if I had showed up at the train station without a clue of where I wanted to go and this decision, which would alter the fate of Chinese bus companies everywhere, would be based on who shouted closest to my ear.

Anyway.

Once we arrived, it all seemed worthwhile. It was a beautiful day, and with the sun shining and highs near 30 (what up, Celsius?), I was curious to see how the Chinese would react to all that sunshine. In American stores, beauty creams claim to make our skin younger. In China, the goal is for skin to be *whiter*. So in the summer, do they just slather on lots of sunscreen?

No.

Sunscreen is, apparently, a last resort, coming in 3rd after clothing and umbrellas.

Notice here that 1 person is wearing a swimsuit, thereby proving that it is not too cold to be doing something so kRaZy. I seriously saw more women walking in the sand in (ugly) heels than in swimsuits. And what about swimming in the ocean? Is the water too dirty? THEN do they wear swimsuits?

No.

They do this instead:
so. unappealing.

Because who wants to go the beach and get wet? Ew, I mean, seriously.
Also, everyone sits in line, much more so than in the US or Europe.

It like they're watching a movie, but it's... the OCEAN.








And fisherman boats.










I LOVE the fisherman boats.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

So...do you have them beat with the whitest skin or is it a close competition?

PS_ i think that bubble thing looks amazing! Could you imagine hooking it to the back of the boat and going nuts! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Do chinese people always carry things around in plastic bags? Do they not know the current trends of huge, bold bags?

WCBF said...

1. I do have the whitest skin, as their skin is yellow (they said it, not me), but the freckles are not something they're jealous of.

2. No, the bubble thing would be gross. No air in there, you'd start to sweat after like 5 seconds, people have been all up in there right before you, I bet it's filled with germs and sand. And there's no cushion between you and the water, so it would hurt when you'd go over a wave.

3. I never noticed the bags! haha. I think they usually just like, stop off at the store on their way to the beach, so they just leave it in the bag they bought it in? idk.