Thursday, May 3, 2007

When I rock the mic I rock the mic (right.)

Checked 2 more places off the list of "must sees" in Jinan this evening. It's funny how different things are when we don't have to teach or show up for class at 8 in the morning! First stop was WeiWei's, which isn't terribly unique, but a lot of foreigner teachers usually go there on nights that I teach. Because I'm still remotely concerned about my coolness level (but really, what's the point), I didn't take any pictures, though a proper description of WeiWei's really demands it. The "restaurant" is located at an intersection of a few wide alleyways, with similar "restaurants" along the roadside, all full of people. WeiWei is this little old man who works shirtless most of the time, cooking made-to-order beef and sardine kebabs (?). I had bread. This is no King Wok, people! The restaurant is essentially tables and chairs on the sidewalk outside of a building, with maybe one table inside. A long thin grill runs between the tables and the street, and this is where WeiWei works his magic. He seems to enjoy the foreigners, or at least the attention he gets from them.

Long long ago someone decided to give WeiWei an English lesson. Not exactly a nice lesson. He only knows how to say things that even the Brits find crass, words that I leave out of my vocabulary, and he enjoys shouting English at passers-by as the western audience cheers him on and his wife leans on the door frame, shaking her head disapprovingly before running empty pitchers to the Gatorade cooler of beer for refills. I was told if he likes you, he'll show you the pictures of the naked girls on his cell phone, and sure enough... well... you could say we're friends now.

Oh, I did take 1 picture. The worst bathroom (god, hopefully) in China. Have you ever seen Trainspotting? It pretty much looked like that. Oh, and there basically was no door, but someone stood outside and told people not to come in. Forgive me, but I have to share. Allow me to present, the bathroom at WeiWei's:

This should be on the front of a China guide book.
Someone write Lonely Planet.

Afterwards, we headed over to The Pyramid Bar, where my neighbor Harmony was DJing. One of the other DJs gave me the mic to let loose, ya'llz!! But I didn't have much to say. I gotsta work on my free stylin'. Oh, and there was dancing involved. At home I have learned (and been told, repeatedly) that I am much better at standing there, casually posing than I am at dancing. In China, though, I'm the best! Seriously you guys, come to China, and you will discover how perfect you really are. 3 people asked me to teach them how to dance, though I declined. I also declined multiple invitations for lunch next week with this DJ from Cameroon, but eventually my disinterest was beaten out by his persistence and you know... the prospect of a free lunch.

A few pictures from Pyramid:


























This is Diana. Everyone thinks she's Korean because she
doesn't use the local dialect and she hangs out with us.


yes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know I know... I still owe you an email... I'm still trying to catch up!

Just want to say that the last picture is a very classic Amanda pose... Pretend like you are drinking Black Widows at Christy's instead of Chinese Beer from a Gatorade Cooler.