Friday, May 11, 2007

No longer in need of an eye patch

The quarantine's been lifted and I can now open my left eye. HA! Nice try, China, better luck next time! Did spend most of the week in hiding, though.

I've been talking with my class about personal interaction, and tonight we discussed "small talk." What's appropriate, what's not, and how all this varies between cultures. I said that for the most part we do not discuss politics and religion with people we are not close with, but we may refer to these topics in passing or very generally. After class, one of my students came up to me and asked what the proper protocol is if someone is asking specific questions about religion, and what if someone asks you to go to religious functions and you do not want to, but you do not want to say no, and you want to be direct like Americans are, but you still want to be nice and perhaps still be their friend, and, and... She was a bit distraught. I gave her some words of wisdom and she sent me an email this evening:

Dear WCBF,
Thank you for your advice today.I've been in some trouble yesterday, maybe I took it a little too seriously,anyway,thanks a lot,I hope the method will work^^
The classes today and last week are very helpful,that's what we really need~
I deeply appreciate it.(Is this a too formal one?:) and I really enjoy talking with you^_^
Best wishes!
Yours sincerely,miriam
Finally! An email from a student that didn't involve "constructive" criticism!

Also I had received an email from a student, saying he wouldn't be able to come to class tonight on account of the birthday party his friends were throwing him. Seriously? Make something up. Anything, I don't care. I had 2 students miss class this week because they had to help play host to members of the tourism department of a school in New Guinea. Did I question them? No. Did I ask for a note? No. And this kid wants to miss class for his birthday party?

I said ok.


But then he showed up to class anyway!



...for the last 15 minutes.




...so drunk.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, brilliant kid. He reminds me of C.J., except that was St. Patty's Day, and she had two finals. I'm glad alcohol has the power to make really bad decisions always seem completely logical on both sides of the world.

Lisa said...

i feel like college students being drunk is the only thing in common w/ american and chinese college students