Thursday, March 22, 2007

Chinese: The Easy Way*

Just so you're all clued into the life and times of ME, I'm taking Chinese class here. Actually, 2 classes. Actually, for 20 hours a week. For those who remember my stellar attendance record in college [motto: if I can get an A in your lecture and only go 3 times, I should be praised, not penalized], you won't be too surprised to discover that it's not exactly easy for me to show up for class at 8-12, Mon-Fri. But I try, and really what more could possibly ask of me?

I've totally rekindled my love for IPA, something I was sure I'd never need again since my singing career... um... slowed down. But now I'm basically going to IPA the entire Mandarin language.

The students in my class come from all over the place, which makes for interesting conversation when we can manage.
US
Canada
Brazil
Australia
Germany
France
Russia
Japan
Korea
Hong Kong
Democratic Republic of Congo, which kind of blows my mind.

I sit next to the Korean Plastics. When our teacher tells us to speak through a dialogue, I usually don't participate because, as a teacher taking the class for free fun I'm more of an observer than a participant. The KPs beside me don't participate either, because apparently "work with your partner" in Chinese means "check your makeup" in Korean, and both of them pop open their compacts without a second thought. During class breaks, the studly trendy Korean guy comes in, and we all giggle and bat our eyelashes. On Wednesdays, we wear pink.

Also, the Russian girl in class told me her goal in life is to meet Paris Hilton.


But seriously Chinese is hard, ya'll.


*The post title came from a book I swiped from a fellow teacher. The title of the book cracks me up, and best of all, it comes with a guarantee! right.

No comments: