Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Welcome to our lovely school

Today I met with a student who's here for the summer from my American university. I'd love to have been able to help him with his transition to China, but, oh yeah, he's lived in China for 5 years and is fluent in Mandarin. So when we met for lunch, I found myself asking him questions much more than the opposite. He's here to examine the enforcement of environmental policy in China, among other things, and it's all pretty interesting. Because everything's perfect in China and we're all living in rainbow houses and the sun shines through cotton candy clouds, it's hard for change to happen. There's nothing wrong here, so why would we change anything? Also, it's hard to enforce the laws that are already established, because the people causing the most trouble, big companies, are also the most affluent and can distract their local law-enforcing party member with shiny moneys.

He and I are also toying around with the idea of holding an info session for local students interested in coming to the US for law school. Everyone wants to come to the US for school, no matter the field or degree, and law school is no exception.

Over lunch, I asked the student about his arrival to SDU, and his reception fell in line with what I've told my students when discussing intercultural commun. One's reception in a new country is indicative of the cultural differences, particularly in the US and in China. If you study abroad in the US, perhaps someone will come pick you up at the airport, or you'll receive directions on how to get to the school. Check-in at an office, they'll give you some paperwork and ask if you have any questions, and you're on your way.

In China, someone will be there to pick you up. They will introduce you to people and perhaps give you a brief tour. If you ask where to do such-and-such, the response will probably be, "Oh I can do that for you."

In the US, we're independent, we want paperwork to consult so we can learn about our new surroundings on our terms, go back to refer to this information, etc.

In China, the community comes before the individual. You being their guest, they want you to feel comfortable, so they offer to do things for you. I mentioned before that when I first arrived, I wanted a map of the university campuses, and instead I was told to ask the office when I'm looking for things.

It's an insult if I don't take their offer, they feel insulted if they find out I have to do something myself, and I feel insulted if I ask a question and don't get a straight answer (which happens sometimes. It's "better" to make me happy than to give me an honest answer that might make me unhappy). But I'm an American. I want my paperwork. Thanks for the offer, that's really nice, but I want to do it myself!!

This concludes today's cultural lesson.

No comments: