Tuesday, March 27, 2007

My stuff is here!

I originally brought way too much stuff to China with me. All of this stuff (shoes, skirts, extra makeup) was of course absolutely necessary, but I had to leave most of it in Beijing on account of the weight limit for Chinese domestic flights (20 kilo? Are you kidding?). My aunt and uncle kindly volunteered to send my stuff to me, and I arrived in Jinan with just a few days worth of clothing etc, knowing that the bulk of my things would safely arrive later that week.
No sir! It was not until last Friday that I received my shipment! That's what, like three weeks? When I got that phone call, that my suitcase was in the office on campus, ready to be picked up, I literally laughed with glee before skipping off to pick it up. Carrying it home was quite a workout, since it's about 1m x .75 m and weighs like, not that much less than I do (sidebar, have we noticed how I'm embracing the metric system? I've decided it's time I learn how all that works). Although the handle was of course encased in the package, a make-shift handle had been fashioned out of burlap, which made things... easier.
Burlap you guys. My suitcase was not sent in a box. It was sent in cellophane. And burlap. And yellow duct tape. And my gigantic suitcase looked like this:


These pictures make my suitcase look small. Picture 110lbs of this.

I unwrapped Santa's sack, surprised to find that, underneath all the packaging, my suitcase still managed to get covered in dust, just like the rest of China.


The rest of my Friday was spent putting things away and smelling my clothes, scented with the fragrant aroma of American fabric softener.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really sweet wrapping... thanks for taking pictures and actually posting them! (I'm still waiting for photoshoot pictures... why don't you get on that with your slow internet)